Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Pesto

What I love about Summer is the fact that my Basil plants are going super strong. I planted them in Spring and have been watching them extra carefully. If you have been following me on Facebook or Instagram I'm sure you would have noticed all the pictures of my plants.... especially my dill and basil plants. I'm kinda a freak about them actually. I don't know... I just get so happy at the thought of summer cook outs and sides of pesto pasta salads or cucumber dill salads from herbs that I have hand grown. I love that I can just walk out into my backyard and snip off my fresh herbs and add then to whatever I'm cooking for that night. It's so satisfying. Now that the Mister and I have starting canning I thought why not start making Pesto and freezing it through the winter and using it whenever and for whatever. It's great on almost anything.... fish, chicken, pasta, you name it. So this is a recipe that is pretty standard that we used. We doubled it but it was pretty hard to get it all in the food processor so you may just have to do one batch at a time. Oh and I also like to use walnuts instead of pine nuts because not only are walnuts more flavorful but they are cheaper... it's your call though.



3 cups fresh Basil


Wash and pat dry


1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


I use less garlic then the 4 cloves


add the oil a little at a time...




add into separate single serving containers


and freeze.

If you have any questions just shoot me a comment. It's really simple and Yummy.

XOXO