Monday, September 2, 2013

Behind the scenes of Here There Be Monsters.

As some of you may know...I've been participating in a bunch of shows lately and am having so much fun doing so. I've met a lot of new and interesting people and have made many connections. I know I haven't posted in a week or so.....I've been super busy and then caught a little cold that I'm still trying to get over. So Here There Be Monsters went alright...there were a few minor bumps along the way but that happens sometimes. I really wasn't sure what to expect with this type of show. I was a little surprised that I made my booth fee back and then some. I never think any show is a total waste of my time... as long as I'm getting my name and my card out there and making new contacts I feel that it's a decent days work. I didn't sell much but I did meet some really talented people and now more people know about my work as well. It is tiring doing shows but it's how I make the majority of my sales and I love it! I apologize, the quality of these photos..... they blow. I was rushed and was using my camera phone. This gives you a good idea of the awesome venue and set up.




Jodi of Art Genius and I shared a little 6x8 sized booth so it was pretty tight but we made it work. I made a bunch of squids and jellyfish because they were pretty popular at the Craft Riot Show. I also made some little Monster creatures as well. 
 Here's a little blurb that Here There Be Monsters wrote about me: 
Nothing But A Pigeon- Sometimes we all need something soft in our lives to hug or shake in frustration. If that soft, adorable thing is also a monster, so much the better. Check out this booth for hand-crocheted monsters and critters of all kinds!

Next to us we had Sheva Hart of Fashion Outlaws. Sheva makes very unique and unusual hats and accessories with organic yarn. Here is a little gander of some of her work.

Thanks to these two guys that actually took the time to dress up. It was sweltering hot on this day and they stuck it out to stay in character.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Johnston of Truth. He is very super talented and also very sweet. I am now the proud owner of this whale illustration seen above. Now I just have to figure out where to put it in my house. I've acquired quite a lot of art work from some awesome artists in the last month ....that I have prints and pieces just waiting to me mounted and hung. I love great artwork....it makes me happy and smile on the inside.


Here's Rhapsodical Hat's! They had the cutest masks and tiny hats I've ever seen! 
Meet Cody Schibi whom is very super talented and an amazing artist and illustrator. Check out his site Drawing a Blank art by Cody Schibi.
Here's some crazy hard core gore by Hawgfly.




Check out there site Hawgfly.com
Here's a gander at the inside of the venue. It was a very interesting and unique artist coop.

They had beautiful lighting as you can see in these images. I loved the branches around the lights. 

I was happy to see my two very special friends Amanda and Chris Garrett there. They were kind enough to buy tickets and stop by to see me and the other vendors. They are such sweet people. Chris even bought one of my little Monster creatures to help me out. What a guy! I am truly blessed to have such caring people in my life! All in all it was a good day. I learned a lot and got to enjoy my buddy Jodi Hopper's company which is always welcome. Now I have another show under my belt and feel more confident about showing in future events. Hope everyone had a fun filled weekend and have a safe Labor Day!
xoxo