Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The adventures of Mandy and Taylor at Calhoons

Mandy and I decided to take a day to do one of our favorite things...... antique shopping! Mandy showed me the cutest Antique Mall called Calhoons that was originally and old boarding house. It had three levels and tons of rooms (we will get to that later). First we started in the basement, which was pretty much just filled with odds and ends. I did happen to find this vintage suit case but it was to worn out and too beat up to invest in.... so instead I just had Mandy take a picture of me with it.



I spotted this neat old cash register... pretty cool eh? The price wasn't so cool and vintage typewriters are my thing anyhow. Onward.


There was some really pretty glass vases and dishes.


Here we are on the main floor. We were trying to be sneaky and take all our photos secretly. A lot of antique places hate it when you take pictures of their items and will ask you not to or as you to leave and ruin your whole day.


I had to take a picture of The Star Wars dolls for The Mister...just to let him know that I was thinking of him.


Here's sweet Mandy with and adorable case that she found, I'm guessing it's used to put makeup or jewelry in. It's shaped like a large pocket time piece that opens up. She found it placed on a vanity so we are assuming that's what it was used for.


Vintage Cookware!!!!!!






Mandy admiring the colored glass.


Games, games, scary dolls and more games.


Beautiful light coming through the window with ferns growing through.


These precious little birds were on a vanity just waiting for me to come along and see them. They were so adorable! Alas.... I did not buy them. I do believe they are napkin holders, which is just darling but I don't entertain that much to justify buying them.


Bah! More cookware...... I must have the pink ones. Someday when I have some extra money to just toss around I will invest in some vintage kitchen cookware.


Okay, so this is the upstairs on the third level that Mandy forced me to go to. I was scared that the evil shop owner was going to catch us and kick us out. Once I gave in to peer pressure and went up there I was glad I did because it was really interesting to see all the old boarding rooms and the way they had used the antique furniture to play up the way they used to look like. It was actually very creepy. I took this picture of Mandy in a room that they were renovating.... the light coming through the windows was unbelievable. 


Try to imagine yourself back in that space and time with all the noises and chatter of people.... if we closed our eyes we could almost hear it. It's as though they just all got up and abandoned it... left all of their belongings for us to look through. Most of the furniture was in disarray, we had to step over chairs and other items to take pictures. I only took a few.... I mostly wanted to look and take it all in. We did stumble onto some dead bats. I'm sure Mandy has some good ones of those little guys.


I snapped this one on the way out. Door knobs and old license plates. Yes.........


This was on the way back to the car. We spotted the coolest looking fire escape stairs and weathered door with the "smart shop" sign..... perfect for some pictures. This is the outfit I wore for our day out at Calhoons Antique Mall. Most of my outfit is thrifted except the top I bought from Target.
I hope you enjoyed the post! There is more shenanigans to come with Mandy and Taylor's weekend getaway.

XOXO