Friday, March 20, 2015

The making of baby cacti...


Hi there! This post is very fun and very cute. This little cactus pattern is by one of my all time favorite Amigurumi creator's Ana Paula Romoli. I bought one of her books way way back in the day and learned how to crochet plushie toys and just like that became addicted. No, I'm not giving away a free pattern because it's not for me to give away... I'm simply sharing the process of what it's like to make a cute little Amigurumi toy as well as showing you all why and how I fell in love with it. I will most certainly list all of Ana's links at the bottom of the page if anyone of you crafty individuals would like to see her beautiful pattern's and books. She is quite the talented lady and is one of the reason's that I found a passion for crocheting.


Pretty much all Amigurumi and my patterns as well start with something called the "magic circle"
It's a simple way of working in rounds.


Here's a good top view of the "magic circle" as it develops.


Once you get to a certain width that you like you stop increasing the stitches and single crochet (sc) in every stitch there after making the shape come to life. You see how it's turning into a little baby cactus?


Next you can add these fun little plastic eyes that are available in most craft stores in the doll section. 


With floss you can add a little "V" smile giving the little cactus instant cuteness!


Adding colors is always tricky at first but you'll get used to it. This brown represents the dirt/pebbles in the little cactus pot.


After that you add the orange to represent the classic terracotta planter.



There is a little bit of a more advanced stitch here that took me actually a year to figure out. Finally I realized how to accomplish it and my whole world changed. Ha ha! I swear... it's the little things.


Once you've come to a certain length of your liking you go then crochet through the back loopos only to create, shape and form the bottom of the orange pot. You'll learn all of these techniques in Ana's books! Here patterns are simple yet brilliant. 


Here they are in all their glory! Please check out Ana Paula Romoli's books.... she is super talented and her designs are super cute and fun to make.