Tuesday, April 10, 2012

postcards from Ohio

More adventures from Ohio.... I have even more places to share with you from my hometown Columbus, Ohio. Local eatery's and of course vintage stores! My sister Taryn and I ran around town and documented our escapades in order to share it with you. We will take you to five different locations..... you ready?



Betty's is a local restaurant located in the heart of the Short North. It's a sassy bar/grill that is cozy and great to meet up and chat with friends. It's sassy because they are all about 1940- 1960's pinup girls. Come take a look.


The bar where Taryn, me and the Mister's used to hang out at on the weekends to catch up.


This is actually in the ladies bathroom.


More bar pictures where they serve their award winning drinks.


Trinkets that surrounds the bar shelves.


Rooster, cock whatever....


Just one of the many pinup posters in the bar.


Oh me Oh my.


It used to be that you could only get Jeni's ice cream at the North Market. Now she has over nine different stores and is still expanding. It started with a simple dream that has took on a life of it's own. It's one of Columbus's hot spots. Which brings back memories of the Mister and I grabbing a scoop when we live in German Village.... within walking distance of the North Market. This is one of her new stores located in the Short North.




Our next visit is to The North Market. I talked about Jeni's Ice Cream being there... but there are many other vendors as well. You can get baked goods, flowers, eggs and yummy eats. It's a busy place especially for lunch with it being located close to downtown. I used to come here for lunch when I was in college and then when I married Matt we would walk there on the weekends. It's one of the places that I miss the most because of all the good memories and good food.


In the spring, summer and fall they have a farmers market in the front where you can purchase fresh fruit and veggies.



This is where Matt used to buy me flowers on the way home.


This coffee shop has fond memories for Matt... he made many friends here while he was working for an architecture firm close by. He would visit them on lunch and grab a hot one to go. I think some of the same people he knew still work there.



Fresh Deli meat.


This is a new vendor that Taryn and I found. Full of spices and smells!


I had to stop and look at the chocolates....



Any kind of cheese you want you can find it here.


This is my favorite stop. This is fresh pasta made by had stuffed with different cheeses and spices... some zebra patterned. Pasta is my favorite food so it was hard for me to walk by and not stop.



Our next to last stop is Pistacia vera. This is a new pastry shop that Taryn took me to in the heart of German Village. It's a European technique that they use and make from scratch. They are known for their Parisian macaroons which I sampled myself and bought a box for my lovely friend Mandy.


Walking into the store you feel as though you are swept away to Paris.


Beautiful Parisian goodies



Fresh croissants made from scratch


The taste of espresso 


Hand made cinnamon rolls


Truffles


The famous Macaroons


I borrowed this picture from their website because mine didn't do them justice.

And lastly we take a trip to the Greater Columbus Antique Mall.
It wouldn't be a trip to Columbus, Ohio without stopping at my favorite Antique store. This antique mall has over 9 rooms filled with vintage clothes, memorabilia and anything.... I mean anything you can think of. I love to visit this Mall because I would come here for all my little props for my Photography classes. I would buy items that reminded me of women, grandma... things that you would find in your mothers room. Gloves, teacups, glass jars filled with buttons. Whatever it was that touched me I bought it. We will discuss more about my Photography later on in other posts. 


Oh I'm so excited!


This is just the tip of the iceberg.


I have a "thing" for tea cups. It started in college when I used one as a prop and I've been hooked ever since. They are also nice to have to put your ring, bobbles and jewelry in.


Guess I have a thing for owls too.


Not sure who would pay money to buy these but to each there own.


The chandelier room.


vintage lighters


tins and such


these little suckers are worth a lot of money.... made by Mason.


Vintage hats and boxes galore


coats and clothes..... yes please.


Taryn modeling a very stylish hat for me.


Hand embroidered hankies.... love.


I really wish I would have bought this purse... regret.


books, records and whiskey bottles.


and a vintage typewriter.... something that I also collect.

I hope you enjoyed another blog about Ohio. I do love Columbus and visiting home brings back so many memories. I was nice to visit and stay at my sisters new place with her awesome boyfriend Brian and their little dogs Max and Hunter. Please feel free to leave any comments.

XOXO