Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Justine's

There is a really romantic restaurant hidden away on a random neighborhood in Austin that few people know about. The food is amazing and the seating is limited. Justine's Brasserie is located at 4710 East 5th Street in Austin. For those of you that aren't familiar with Austin's East side just know that it's more "up and coming" than it used to be. 5th street is near Springdale which isn't a particularly desirable place to be.... but in the last few years or so it's become Hipsterville. Which is good and bad. I love living on the East side but then I hate the fact that the East side is getting the known as the "Hipster side". I guess I would rather live in Hipsterland than be scared for my life in Methhaven..... there is that still going on still. Beware of the intersection of 12th and Chicon!!!!!! I always drive with my car doors locked for the plan simple fact that I had two homeless men try to open my back car door and try to get in my car. This was on two separate occasions mind you. Both at different intersections...of course there are homeless people on every single corner so the chances of that happening are rather high, and I'm a crazy magnet. They flock to me. I digress. Where were we? A yes, Justine's.


It's much more romantic and intimate at night but we decided to go at the spur of the moment and let me tell you....this place gets packed fast. It gets so crowded and the restaurant is so tiny it's hard to maneuver around. I really did want to sit outside because Mosquitoes love me and my friend Dominique just got West Nile and I just wanted to enjoy myself.


This is the lovely French Inspired dining area out in front. It truly is magical at night. It's so romantic and would be tops for a first date. The first time I ate at Justine's Matt and I went with Mandy, James and her Aunt and Uncle as well as Megan and Gabe. It was very crowded, very loud and very fun!


 I'm such a dork and a little bit of a wine snob but realised that I need to learn more about wine than I already do. I learned a cool thing while I was there..... it's actually the kinda sexy and sensual experience you want to have while tasting wine. I love a good Malbec so I ordered a moderately priced glass to go with my meal (asking the waiter which one he suggested) I tasted it and I just wasn't into it. I gave it another whirl and even let Matt try it. Still no. It wasn't until our Escargots a la Bourguigonne arrived and I took a few bites and then took a sip of wine then it started to taste good. Apparently the wine needed to "open up". Lesson learned.



Awkward pictures are the best.


My favorite appetizer on the Menu is Escargots a la Bourguigonne
(with a parsley butter sauce)
The sauce is so delicious that you have to dip your bread in it to sop up all the juices. It really is amazing.
We've had the cheese plate before as well and that too was fantastic. Nothing beats good cheese and wine.


Disco Baby! Awesome Balls! No really..... awesome! this is the back patio with old giant oak trees with disco balls and red lights hanging from them. It really sets the mood you know?


They have concerts in the back every no and then. It's a good spot to be at when SXSW is going on.


I ordered Coquilles St. Jaques Grille
(scallops grilled with lardon served with frisee)
The scallops were amazing, they melted in my mouth and the sauce was so yummy I had to dip my bread in it. I shared a little bit with Matt. I think he was secretly jealous that mine was better than his.


Matt ordered a special that wasn't on the Menu.... Oh Fancy Pants. I totally don't remember what it was called but it was all Frenchy. It was pretty good but I did enjoy mine soooo much better. It was such a nice night. We both love to eat good food and drink good wine and beer. It ends up doing some damage to our wallet so we keep it down to only special occasions now. This night however the special occasion was us.
xoxo