Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Suburbanite....


Hey lovies! This mini photo session I had with the Mister a week ago cracks me up every time I look at it. I look like a little Suburban housewife from Hell. Lol. It reminds me of those old timey magazines where the wife (all doped up on quaaludes) is watering the front yard (with a martini in one hand) while waving to the passersby with the other. Do you see where I'm going with this? Well.... you'll be glad to know that it's quite the opposite here in the city (although we do live right on the cusp of Travis County). No quaaludes or martini's for this little lady..... just watering of the ol' garden on occasion.


I borrowed this sweet little peplum top from Erica of Sweets and Hearts. I love peplum tops as they flatter me most indefinitely. I especially love this top because it's Navy and goes with basically everything I own. Check out how Erica styled it here. I adore Erica's style... she really has a knack for putting together an outfit. I'm always drawn to her looks and I feel as though (on some level) our style is similar. Let's put it this way.... I want to borrow everything in her closet. Lol! 


I feel as though my style has changed somewhat over the past few months... as I used to be all about the "Bohemian look".... now I'm more into "classic pieces". Don't get me wrong.... I love "festival clothing" but I think I'm drawn more to "timeless "wear" such as this peplum top. I don't foresee this piece going out of style anytime soon. I also love the fact that I can either dress it up or dress it down. Which as you can see I chose to "dress it down" in this photo shoot. Nothing like wearing skinny jeans in 90 degree weather! Ha! 


Dying laughing..... this is what happens when I try to be serious in a photo. I love my scarf though. I'm obsessed with scarves at the moment.... oh and lipstick. I've never really "experimented" with makeup before but I am now and I have to admit it's fun! I never really wore lipstick in the past on the count of the fact that I'm a skinny lipped... pale white girl and it just seems to draw attention to the fact that I have a "lack of fullness" in the lip area. Ha. I don't really care too much anymore. I'm gonna wear lipstick and that's it. That should be the name of my blog.... "Skinny lipped pale white chick". I'd probably get a lot of followers.... hmmmmm. 


Here's our sad little front yard garden. We lost the "Pride of Barbados" over the Winter. It couldn't handle the Texas weather and froze. It's sad because it had such glorious orange blossoms every year and really "made" the front yard. The lizards are out and about... sunning themselves on our weathered wood. They always scurry away when we walk out of the house... but if we're lucky we get to see them on occasion. 


We received a few blooms already.... our cactus is currently blooming as we speak.


Here's the happy housewife now! Lol.... no really. I love living in Austin and owning my own business which is taking off! I'm still always surprised when people buy my creations... I don't know why. Old habits die hard I guess. I'm working on that though... changing the way I think about myself. It's hard and is going to be a long journey but life's too short. I've been talking a lot about "improving myself" with my BFF Chris. We went kayaking this past weekend and had a little heart to heart. He's always a good listener. I feel change is underway.... which is a good thing.


Working on "improving myself" is not only about my appearance (working out regularly and eating right) but it's also about "healing" from within. I have a lot of issues (more issues than Vogue) that I've been dealing with lately and am trying to sort them all out. I'm basically trying to be the best person or best version of myself that I can be. You know... in life morally speaking and physically as well. I don't like to talk about it too much (although my friends will tell you differently) but I was sick for the past few years and when I say few I mean the last three years. I wasn't able to enjoy life or do anything physically speaking that I'd want to do or normally did. Since I've gotten better (mentally and physically) I've shed a few pounds and am way more active and feel that mentally I'm more stable. I still want to make some changes in my personal life (for the better) and now want to live life to the fullest! Which is why I'm sooooo excited about this Summer. I'm going to do everything that I couldn't do for the past few years.... like kayaking with Chris... or hiking or biking. You get the picture.


I want to surround myself with positive people that make me a better person as well. I will no longer put up with "negativity" from myself or others. Like I said "life's too short." You only get one chance. I've kind of gone off on a little tangent here... I do apologise. Just thinking out loud about what's ahead for me. I don't like to get too heavy into serious life on my bloggy... sometimes it's alright though. 
Now let's change the subject and talk about these shoes!


I bought these at Target on sale for $8 dollars! I love a good wedge and these fit right in with my new and improved style. I'm so into red right now... which is funny because it's such a "loud" color and I would normally shy away from it. Not anymore.... maybe that says a little something about myself right now. 


Well.... thanks for stopping by. I know it was a lot to read. Sheesh! I'll try to keep it on the lighter side of things next time. I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" as some people would say.... lol. See you kittens later.
xoxo

Peplum Top: Forever 21 (borrowed from Erica of Sweets and Hearts)
Skinny Jeans: Forever 21
Shoes: Target
Sunnies: Target
Earrings: Claire's
Scarf: Thrifted