Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Watermelon nail tutorial...


I'm not a Pro as you can see... but sometimes it's fun to experiment with nail art. I was totally inspired by Keiko Lynn's Strawberry Nail Tutorial seen here. I had all the colors for the watermelon/strawberry nails anyhow... and my nails were already painted red (the base coat) so I figured... why not? It's not perfect by any means but I'm okay with that.... it was fun and I was happy with the outcome. 


Here's all what I used. For the base coat I used a cheap polish that I purchased from Forever 21 called Love & Beauty in "Red". I only needed one coat because it's highly pigmented. Yay! The green I used for the watermelon wedge is a tiny little bottle by Cover Girl in "Appletini" and the black for the watermelon seeds is by Essie in "Licorice". I pretty much use the red and black all the time but the green color I bought just for fun. I wear it occasionally and use it for "accents". The black and red are my "go to" colors.... they match almost everything and you can't go wrong with a classic "red". You can use whatever colors your little heart desires. I actually saw some really cute nail tutorials on Pinterest were they used pink! 


Prep your nails before painting by filing and buffing them and make sure to wash and dry them. Apply a clear base coat first.... I used Kiss "Jet dry" as a base and as a top coat. Let dry and then apply the red or pink polish. 


Next, use washi tape or Kiss strips (shown here) to mark off the area to paint the green wedge part of the watermelon. I actually prefer using washi tape after experimenting with this Kiss brand. It left a sticky residue on my nails that I couldn't get off (hence the sloppiness).


Paint the tips green... let dry completely (that's pretty important) then remove the strips. I know it's exciting but don't get all impatient like I did and take off the strips before your nails are completely dry... I know it's hard but restrain yourselves. You'll end up botching the whole nail job and it's not worth it.... trust me!


This image came out a little blurry (sorry). Next you're gonna want to clean up all the mess around your nails either with a nail pen corrector or a Q-tip always works just fine for me. Then if you have a dotting tool (I used a pencil tip) you can dip it into the the black and make as many dots as you'd like for the seeds. Mine came out super big.... I was hoping they would be smaller but life's a bitch. I only did three dots but it's super cute to do a bunch of little tiny ones as well. Let dry and apply a top coat.


Voila!!! 
There you have it. A fun Summery look! Next time I'm going to ditch those Kiss strips that I used and go back to using washi tape (which doesn't leave crap all over my nails). I'll have way more patiance next time and wait till the polish completely dries before removing the tape/strips. A dotting tool always helps and you can test out the dot sizes on paper before you attempt it on your actual nail. Weeeeee!

Love & Beauty in "Red" Forever 21
Cover Girl "Appletini" Target
Essie "Licorice" Target

xoxo