Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ruby Sparks


First of all let me just say that I love love loved this movie to pieces! I'm no movie critic by any means... I likes what I likes and me likey this movie. The story is written by the adorable Zoe Kazan also plays the part of Ruby Sparks... very well I might add. Paul Dano (yum) plays Clavin a struggling writer who found fame at a very young age but is now suffering from lack of inspiration and cannot seem to re-create the success of his first novel. 


I don't want to give away too much of the story because it was delightful to watch.....
It was directed by Jonothan Dayton and Valerie Faris whom also directed Little Miss Sunshine also starring Paul Dano. I loved Little Miss Sunshine and they way it was filmed so I was super excited to see this little Romantic Comedy.


I'm a sucker for well written romantic comidies... I would be lying if I said I didn't. I'm "that girl" I suppose. I also love a well written story which Zoe Kazan did prove to do.




I also think it's adorbs that they fell in love for reals on the set while filming and are actually still together. They are the cutest underground Hollywood couple ever!




I have to say the movie did remind me a little of "500 Days of Summer" with a tad bit of "Submarine". I know everyone has seen Zooey Deschanel in "500 Days of Summer" but if you haven't seen "Submarine" then you should because it's written and directed so well and the sound track is amazeballs!






I feel in love with the imagery in this movie... the quotes are to die for too! I told you I'm a sucker for romantic comedies!! However, there are a lot of bad romantic comedies out there or "chick flicks" as some people like to call them... unfortunately I think all romantic comedies get a bum rap because they all get lumped into one category when in fact there are indeed some great ones that are out there. I mean isn't "Amelie" essentially a romantic comedy? My point exactly...




The movie got some flack because there were some prodoct placement ads peppered throughout the movie mainly by Apple. All I have to say about that is... "A girls gotta have some funds to make a movie." I mean... unless you are independantly wealthy and have a ton of cash to drop on a film then you have to get sponsors right? So wouldn't it make sense since the main character Calvin is a writter to have an Apple computer in a scene or two? Sheesh!




This is definatly a movie that I would purchase and watch over and over just because it would never get old to me. I'm obsessed with Zoe Kazan's wardrobe and adorable hair throughout the entire movie and who could get sick of looking at Paul Dano?!? There is also a fun cameo by Annette Benning and Antonio Banderas. It's worth renting via Netflix. I'd love to hear your comments on this movie. Have you seen it and did you adore it as much as I did? 

xoxo