Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The chicks first day outside!

Happy hump day everyone! Friday April twelfth the chickadees had their first big adventure! They have been growing and growing like little weeds and we have been slowly introducing them to the outdoors and to Lucy. We make sure to hold them everyday and expose them to Lucy just so the are used to humans and dogs. At first they wanted to be held and now they are getting to the stage that they run away from you. They are getting so quick and are really hard to catch!


For the past week we have been letting them run around in our screened in porch. The weather has been very fine and they love the sun. They have been testing out their new wings and are hopping and fluttering all over the place. It's too funny! They are at the stage where they are loosing their fuzz and their adult feathers are poking through.... they are very awkward and very gawky.


Penelope is the yellow chick. She is a Mottled Java. Eventually she will loose her yellow fuzz and will become a beautiful speckled black and white hen. Betty is the dark brown one. She is a Dutch Leghorn and will grow into a lovely brown hen that lays white eggs. Look at Betty's tail feathers... she seems to be developing her feathers faster yet she has remained smaller than Penelope.


They pretty much always stick together. This was the first time we introduced them to grass. I think they really loved it. They were picking at the grass and trying to catch bugs. It was really cute. They were trying so hard to catch that last ray of sun in order to stay warm.


Lucy just loves the chicks. I wasn't sure at first how she was going to react to them because she is technically a "ratter" and her instinct is to attack these types of little creatures but she has been surprisingly gentle with them. I think she learned her lesson when Penelope took a dump on her nose. It pretty much traumatized Lucy.

So this coming weekend is going to be busy busy! Friday night I'm hosting my first Austin Craft Riot (ACR) event. We are having a potluck game night. Hopefully I don't get too nervous..... there are lots of members that I don't know and haven't spoken to yet. I'll try to put my big girl pants on and be the best host I can be.


Sunday I have to run a 5K! I'm actually not looking forward to it simply because I'm still not in the best of shape and am hella sore from Monday's workout. I thought I would be able to take a spinning class today but I'd better not make things worse. So this 5K is called The Diva Dash. I ran the same course 3 years ago (before I was diagnosed with Epilepsy) and made it through the whole course in good time. I think in a way this is me trying to prove to myself that I can still do it even though I've been out of commission so to speak for the past few years.


The Mister and I are still working on the house and trying to finish up things here and there before the game night this Friday. Eeeeeep! Matt finished painting the downstairs bathroom for me. I had painted two coats of Go Go Lime and had tried to make the edges as neat as I possibly could but botched a few areas. Matt went back and touched it up but I'm such a perfectionist and want to go back in again and make it even more crisp and clean. I totally don't have enough time before Friday....I'll just have to make due for now and hope nobody notices.


That's about all I have to report about for this coming week! Hopefully Matt can finish up the coop soon so we can get these little stinkers out of the house. It is starting to smell like a petting zoo inside. Ha!
xoxo