Thursday, April 11, 2013

The making of a very Grumpy Cat....

 Everyone loves "The Grumpy Cat"....who doesn't? Who wouldn't love a Grumpy Cat Crochet Head mounted on their wall? I know I would! Good thing I make them!


 I recently jumped on the "Grumpy Cat" bandwagon and crocheted a little Grumpy Cat head. It actually turned out really cute. How can you not love a face like that? For those of you that are curious about my Crochetedermy, here are some images to demonstrate how I make my patterns and heads.
I started making my own patterns a few years ago.... I am self taught. I started with a basic beginners crochet book.... I then graduated to Amigurumi (soft, crochet toys) and then started from there developing my own little plushies. Every Animal Head I make is all single crochet (sc) for those of you that read patterns. It's really quite simple if you know how to make the Magic Ring.... basically that means you are working in rounds.
I basically just increase the stitches to get the desired size. I really don't write my patterns down
(it's all in my head).... that's all gonna start to change here in the near future. I've been kicking around the idea of writing my patterns down to eventually have them published. It's a lot of work and documentation in order to submit your idea to a publishing company (I have done my research). It will be a slow process and a really HUGE goal, but it is something that would be amazing for me to achieve.... so we shall see. 
Grumpy Cat is starting to develop more here.... I have made his head and eyes circles and muzzle, now I have to stitch on his pink nose and frowny face. You can get plastic eyes at most craft stores in the "doll" section. I order mine in bulk now because I go through so many. I even buy plastic noses for my other little guys.
I place the plastic eyes in first and secure them.... after that I place the muzzle (mouth) a little underneath the eye circles so that the eye circles overlap the (muzzle) mouth. I can usually manipulate the yarn a little to get the desired shape I'm looking for...in this case I manipulated his eye circles a tad while stitching them to keep him looking grumpy.
Next I make the ears...yup, you got it! All made with the magic circle. I finish them off and whip stitch the to the head.
I'm pretty much finished at this point.... there is still more work to be done though. I have to stuff the head with polyfil and then place a small piece of wood in the tiny opening and crochet around the closing. I do this because when I mount the head onto a plaque I have to drill through the back of the plaque into the wooden piece I have sewn into the actual head. Not very glamorous I know...it's all part of the process. I typically buy my plaques or mounts at Hobby Lobby, I sand and stain them at home. Actually, my fabulous husband Matt usually cuts all the wooden pieces and sands and stains my plaques for me. He is so good about helping out! After the head is drilled into place on the plaque Matt puts a hook on the back to make it ready to be hung. Voila!

That's about the whole step by step process. I will make sure to snap a picture of the Grumpy Cat mounted on my wall. I know I didn't post the "actual" pattern here online just because I would like to keep my pattern my own (in my head). With that being said, please respect that I work hard to create these heads and wouldn't like to see my Grumpy Cat crochet head everywhere. Thank you so much!

xoxo