Sunday, June 1, 2014

Orange is the new black...


Hey there my little lovelies! I'm totally obsessed with this shear dress that I borrowed from Erica of 
Sweets and Hearts. See how she styled it here. I love Erica's style and this little shear frock was so much fun to style. I knew I wanted a little bit of an edgier look so I paired it with all black pieces. I even went out on a hunt for black thigh highs (which were extremly hard to find) and settled on black knee highs instead. I've been playing around with scarves a whole lot... which is actually a nice alternative for a Summer look. It's been super humid this last week in Austin and my hair doesn't want to do anything so the scarf worked out perfectly. Of course my look wouldn't be complete without my huge round sunnies. The bigger the better is what I say when it comes to sun glasses. I loved this pair so much I bought two. One in black and one in tortoise. 


I was a little more "daring" with this look than I normally would be but I've been more daring with decisions in my personal life lately as well so I figured "why not." I've been making a lot of changes  for the better and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my chest. I just don't want to ever go through life feeling uneasy or unsure of myself or of my feelings. I don't want to be silent anymore or scared to speak my mind. I want to stand tall and be confident and secure in who I am as a person and I think in a small way this outfit represents that. It's bold yet remains sweet at the same time. It's playful yet edgy. Does that make sense?


I bought this blazer a long time ago at Kohl's by Lauren Conrad. I think everyone should have a black blazer in their closet as it's a key piece and an essential that is timeless. It's a classic that you can either dress up or dress down. I love the three quarter length sleeve and the form fitting cut of it as well as the structured sholders. It's a flattering piece that would suit just about anyone.


I must say I'm very pleased with this look... I do believe it's my new favorite. The look is fairly simple and straight forward. You could swap out the dress with another babydoll dress to re-create this look. Or even swap out the dress for some cut off jean shorts and a striped top with little white trainers and have a whole nother feel to it. Hmmmmm... I think I may have just described my next look. 


I'm sooooo in love with this orange lipstick. I bought it at Target on a whim. I'm really getting into makeup more and more these days and am having the best time experimenting with different looks. This lipstick was super cheap and is by Wet and Wild. Remember them? I used to buy all their products when I was a little girl. Ha! I saw the color and didn't know if I could pull it off but the price was just right so I went ahead and bought it figuring that if it didn't work out there was no harm done... as it turns out it actually looks really good. The Mister was pleasantly shocked. It's actually highly pigmented and the color is super rich. I think Orange will be my new Summer "go to" color.


I purchased this scarf as well as an all white one at Hobby Lobby. I forsee myself at the beach or at Barton Springs sporting this look poolside. Scarves really add a whole other dimention to an outfit. They draw attention but not in a "pretentious" way. I'm also growing out my bangs and it's been a little difficult to find different ways to style my hair lately so this is a nice alternative for me. Tres' magific.


I can't wait to rock my new style for my Ohio girlfriends. I'm sure the weather there is much more mild right now so it'll be nice to beat the heat and actually be able to wear this blazer for more than 10 minutes without wanting to die. Ha ha! I've been playing around with ideas about what I'm going to wear when I go home. There is sooo much I want to take with me. Thank God my clothes fold down into practically nothing (baby clothes) when in a suitcase. 


Hope you all enjoyed my new edgy look as much as I have been. It's a whole new world out there for me and I forsee many more adventures ahead on the horizon.

Dress: Borrowed from Erica of Sweets and Hearts
Blazer: Kohl's
Scarf: Hobby Lobby 
Sunnies: Target
Knee Socks: Macy's
Wedges: Macy's

Peacoats & Plaid