Thursday, August 23, 2012

dreaming in lomo

I've always had a love for cheap plastic cameras..... now they aren't so cheap... but I'm a big girl now and can afford big girl toys. My love affair started late High School.... early College what I bought my first Holga. Blessed Holga, I still have you sitting on my shelf. Such  memories we shared together.... your medium format film that was a bitch to process by hand, the flash I bought you that was 5x more expensive then you were. The time I tried to make you into a 35mm camera and it didn't work out so well.... sigh. Good times. I will cherish them always.


                 Dear Diana,

I will buy you one day and make you my own. I have dreamt about you and your hard plastic case in my hands. We are meant to be together. You will see... someday your flash will realize that it cannot live without me. You will come to me and I will pay for you. I will take you into my hand and push your buttons and you will expose my film and we will make little pictures together and live happily ever after.

              Forever yours,

                                    Taylor

Here are some of the effects that the different cameras can produce. Basically they are fun plastic cameras that take 35mm and medium format film (generally). 


The cheaper ones tend to get light leaks which I think add to the character of the images but if you don't like that effect you can cover it up with tape after you load your film. I use black electrical tape but you could use anything around the house.


These are the cameras that are for sale on the Lomo website. There's pretty much a camera for any type of fun photo that you want to achieve. This one is not only a crazy cool design but it's also a wide angle that will give you a distorted image..... in a good way.


This is similar to the camera that the Mister and I brought to our Honeymoon. The Mister shares my love of funky, experimental photography and I love that about him. So we took our little plastic camera with us everywhere. The cool thing about cheap plastic cameras is that I wasn't worried about losing it or breaking it or getting sand in it while we were on the beach...so it was just one less thing to worry about. It also was convenient because it took 35mm film and you can take that film to any CVS or Walmart and get that processed in 1 hour. This camera takes 4 pictures, one right after the other. It's pretty fast but slow enough to capture movement. There are some examples below. It's pretty cool.


This lovely picture is taken with a special camera. I couldn't find an example of it on the website but basically the lens is tinted in rows. Beautiful effect.

Here's the little guy on the left that That Matt and I took to our Honeymoon. We still have it even though there is sand in it. We kept it in our box of "memories". We are cheese dicks. These are the awesome effects that you get from the camera. I got a sweet "Duran Duran" video look alike picture in my bathing suit. I was pretty proud of that.



I'm pretty sure this is done with a pinhole camera. I love pinholes. You never know what you're going to get with them; I think that's what I like, the mystery and excitement. I worked with pinhole cameras all through College. It was kinda "my thing." That sounds queer but my Degree was Still Based Media Studies with and Emphasis on Alternative Processes. Which basically means I was really good at Van Dyke Browns, Cyanotypes, and worked with Large Format Films and Cameras and used Pinhole Cameras blah blah blah . It's super fun though that I got that experience because now I can play with cheap card board pinholes. Yipppeeee!


I just decided to post this picture because yes it was taken with a Lomo Camera but also it touched me. I think because it's about young and old but also because it's also about females in general. It's beautiful. The Lomo quality gives it a dream like, memory feel. The vignette accentuates the moment in time between the Grandchild and Grandmother. I love this feel in space and time. Gosh, I feel like I'm in College again.

I hope you enjoy Photography as much as I do. I would really love to hear your thoughts on it.

XOXO