Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mustang Island

The Mister and I took a little mini vacation a few weekends ago to our favorite location...... Mustang Island! It's such a small world. Matt had made friends with an older gentleman named Bruce at his job. Turns out Bruce and his wife own this beautiful house right in Port Aransas. Guess we aren't the only one's that adore the coast.


I gasped when we pulled into the driveway. It's been so long since I have stayed at a beach house.... not since I was 14 in Wild Wood, New Jersey. I love Beach houses. There is something about them, I don't know if it's the sound of the wind chimes or the weathered wood or the left over sand on the stairs. It's magical, simply magical.


We had the 2nd and 3rd level all to ourselves with 2 balconies and a back porch. I packed for cold weather because it was chilly when we left Austin but when we got to Port A it was HOT! Was it a record high for October? I had one outfit for 3 days but it was alright, I didn't mind. I was there to relax.



The Palms and blooms were amazing! We saw lizards running around, herring, pelicans and seagulls flying overhead. The sea air smelled so fresh. I even located a little shower head in between the yellow blooms to rinse the sand off before you go inside the house. I'm crazy about outdoor showers! It sounds strange but when we stayed in Wild Wood we had the most amazing outdoor shower and there would always be this awesome breeze that would flow from underneath the siding. It was so refreshing. If you have taken an outdoor shower then you know what I mean.


I wasn't expecting the inside to be so elaborate, it was a delightful surprise. Bruce's wife really knows how to decorate! I love every single piece they have in their beach house. It was so comfy and cozy like our own house. I instantly felt at home and relaxed.


Look how cool these carved ducks are....no doubt they are from found wood. A beach home wouldn't be complete without a ton of seashells. Sea shell lamp. Yes please.


Colorful pillows spruce up any couch. Boom!


Okay, this kitchen table and lamp blew me away..... the table actually had claw feet. The chairs add an industrial feel to the mix. Let me just say it was nice that they had wine stocked for us and told us we could help ourselves. Super sweet Bruce, but we made our usual stop at the local liqueur store before we headed there. I didn't want to drink all their wine.


Hello little Lobster!


Here's the awesome 2nd level front balcony! The fake Palm tree on the right lights up at night. How cute! What a great place to have your morning coffee or evening wine and listen to the surf.


I can't get enough of the rustic feel.




They were selling Fresh Water Hermit Crabs at the local beach shops. Ewwww.



Some of the local scenery.


Our spot.


Wild Beach Blooms.


It was in and out sunny and overcast but perfect. It wasn't too hot or too cold and the breeze was mighty fine. As soon as we arrived and drove or car onto the ferry we saw Dolphins. I love this place, it's so magical.


We always get a new beach umbrella every time we make a trip out to the coast. We take them home and use them in our back yard table and always end up breaking them. The wind is super strong coming down the valley to our house but we do get good use out of them.


These little sand crabs are everywhere! They are so cute. Lucy ended up chasing them around and actually catching and eating two! Gross. She is such a little hunter.


Always take a picture of your feet in the sand! Always.






Lucy is very confused about this contraption that washed ashore.... so were Matt and I. We really weren't sure what it was. The movie came out tiny but hope you enjoy little Lu Lu's antics.



The beautiful drive to the beach, it's nice to be able to drive your vehicle there..... it's pretty much desolate whenever we are there. That's what we love about Mustang Island, there is hardly ever anyone there.


Some sort of succulent/cactus that washed ashore.


Lucy trying to snuggle next to Dad to get warm.


Lucy running through the waves. This was the first time that I actually felt comfortable enough to let her off her leash. We were at the beach on a Monday and there wasn't a soul on the beach, no cars in site so I felt okay about it. She loved it.



Picture from car window of the side of the road.


This trip was one of the most memorable stays at Mustang Island we have ever had. I was so relaxed and comfortable in the beach house. The awesome news is that Matt told me later that Bruce talked to his wife and they said that we could stay there once a month if we wanted to. Are you freaking serious? How nice is that! They even let Matt hold onto the spare keys. I can't believe it! I'm saving up my vacation days right now. Feel free to comment on my post. It's getting a little lonely around here.

xoxox