Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Janet... you rock my world." - Cliff Poncier


Hey guys....just reminiscing about old school movies from back in the day. During my awkward teen years which took place starting in the early 90's and seemed to drag on forever.... with that being said...
"I was awkward" was a little bit of an understatement. Not like how it's now "cool" to be a little queer like Kristen Stewart but chubby awkward. I wore culottes and skorts and had super short boy hair.
(I was obsessed with Wynonna Ryder's hair) It wasn't till I went onto high school that I grew into my awkwardness and thinned out but still remained an outcast. I wasn't the "cool kid" but I wasn't a "loser" either. If I where a character in a John Huges flick I would be Molly Ringwald from "Sixteen Candles". I wasn't a geek and but I wasn't dating the "popular guy" Jake Ryan either. I just drifted through school hoping not to get noticed. It's this reason why I love Director Cameron Crowe. The majority of his movies involve teenage angst..... which I adore now that I'm older..... it wasn't so fun back in the day.


"Singles" is one of my all time favorite movies.... not just by Cameron Crowe but of all time. I used to escape real life by living vicariously through others. I would pop in a movie and leave all my worries behind. I can't tell you how much I adore this movie. I became big into the grunge scene when it was cool around "94" and love Stoned Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Sound Garden. (which by the way... Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell make appearances in the movie) I shopped at thrift stores (which I still do to this day) and prayed for a "real" pair of bright yellow Dr. Martin's.... which I never got. I had a knock off pair of combat boots and lived in those things. I wore them with skirts, shorts, jeans.... you name it. I was super pissed when my best friend Stephanie Ernst got her parents to buy her a real pair. I'm still pissed to this day.



Here's the awesomely cool apartment's all the character's lived in.....in famous Capitol Hill, Seattle. The story is about four young 20 something neighbor's living in the same building complex together. It follows their individual lives and their relationships, job's etc.... Cliff, Janet, Steve and Debb live in the same Apartment but in different buildings. Cliff and Janet have an on again off again relationship due to the fact that Cliff is unable to commit. Janet is a 20 something coffee shop girl just trying to find her way in the world and a stable, loving relationship along the way.


“The Kiss by the Hôtel de Ville,” taken in Paris in 1950. (Photo: Robert Doisneau)

I love how this Movie Poster emulates the famous image that Cliff so dearly loves (as seen above)

Kyra Sedgwick plays Linda, Cliff's love interest.

David Bailey: Tonight I'll be the super me.
Steve Dunne: What if the super you meets the super her and the super her rejects the super you?
David Bailey: Then it's no problem.
Steve Dunne: Uh-huh. Why?
David Bailey: Because it was never you, it was just an act. I live my life like a French movie, Steve.


  It's funny how style keeps repeating itself. Just think..... tights with cut off's and boots are back. Flannel is back. This post is not only about my love for the movie but my favorite character Janet, played by the beautiful Bridget Fonda. I wanted to live Janet's life so badly! I couldn't wait till I was old enough to have my own place and have a boyfriend to come over and visit me. Of course he HAD to be like Cliff, played by the ever sexy Matt Dillon. Minus the jerk aspect... he ends up alright in the end though. I heard that Matt Dillon doesn't act... that when he play's a role he is playing himself.... his usual character's were generally troubled youth roles.




Cliff's band (Citizen Dick) is a struggling grunge band trying to breakout in Seattle.
Check out their reviews...


Janet Livermore: I've always been able to do this, break up with someone and never look back. Being alone: there's a certain dignity to it.

I love this scene.... SPOILER ALERT!!! After Janet ends her relationship with Cliff and she starts livin' her life for herself and realizes that she doesn't need him anymore, that they are just better off as friends....Oh how I couldn't wait to be an adult.
I used to sit in my bedroom with the lights off except for a cheap blue light that I had purchased from Odd Lots (which is now Big Lots). I would lay on my bunk bed in a bra and boxer shorts
and listen to Mazzy Star and dream of what life would be like when I was older.... when I had the opportunity to do whatever I wanted when I wanted. I was such a dramatic teen.... the whole world was against me and I was just struggling to remain afloat.
P.S. Janet is reading Fountainhead... it's next on my to read list.



Cliff Poncier: Look, Janet you know I see other people still. You do know that don't you?
Janet Livermore: You don't fool me.
Cliff Poncier: Janet, I could not be fooling you less.

 


One of the best and last scenes in the movie is the elevator scene. Cliff realises that he has made a huge mistake and that Janet is a strong and desirable woman. After failing to try to get her back he sees the error of his way and wants her to at least stay in his life if only as friends.

Cliff: Hey.
Janet: Hey. Going out?
Cliff: Yep. You?
Janet: Yeah.
Cliff: That’s a very nice hat, and I don’t mean that in an Eddie Haskell kind of way.
Janet: Thanks.
[beat]
[Janet sneezes]
Cliff: Bless you.
Janet: Thank you.
[beat]
Cliff: Does everybody go through this?
Janet: No, I think, just us.


I love Janet's style in the movie. I used to try to emulate it....those hats! How adorable.


  In this scene Steve, played by Campbell Scott is another resident living in the building and is also friends with Janet and Cliff. Steve has recently been let go from his job and has become a hermit. Janet
(being the good friend and neighbor) comes over to check up on Steve and finds that he is not in good shape. A hug turns into a kiss and things get awkward.

Janet Livermore: People need people, Steve. It has nothing to do with sex. OK, maybe 40 percent. 60 percent. Forget it.

Steve: In a parallel universe, we’re probably one scorching couple.
Janet: But in this one … neighbors.
—- Singles (1992)


 Janet's clothes are classic 90's through and through. Love the dress with boots and the leather jacket.
Here are some alternatives to her look.






Here's the original Singlestrack list:

1. "Would?," Alice in Chains
2. "Breath," Pearl Jam
3. "Seasons," Chris Cornell
4. "Dyslexic Heart," Paul Westerberg
5. "The Battle of Evermore," The Lovemongers
6. "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns," Mother Love Bone
7. "Birth Ritual," Soundgarden
8. "State of Love and Trust," Pearl Jam
9. "Overblown," Mudhoney
10. "Waiting for Somebody," Paul Westerberg
11. "May This Be Love," Jimi Hendrix
12. "Nearly Lost You," Screaming Trees
13. "Drown," The Smashing Pumpkins