Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Monday! Floral crown DIY

Happy Monday Lovies! I hope everyone celebrated a Happy Father's Day with their loved ones! My good friend Brigitte of Ohemgeeboutiques and I have really been getting into Floral Crowns lately. I've been seeing them everywhere...usually associated with festivals and concerts in Austin but I would wear them anywhere. Anything goes in Austin and I think Floral Crowns always bring smiles to people's faces.
I wanted my floral crown to be more delicate. Last time I made one I chose flowers that were way too big and way too expensive. I went the cheaper route this time and smaller and chose pansy's that were 50% at Hobby Lobby. I already had the skinny headbands but you can get those at any local craft store as well as the felt and hot glue gun that I used. If you don't want to burn yourself with the hot glue (which I can guarantee you will) you can get tacky glue but the dry time takes awhile. I love my hot glue gun!
I first cut all the leaves and flowers off the plastic steams. It wasn't too hard with regular scissors but if you have bigger flowers you may have to use wire cutters. I then cut two small strips of felt and glued them to both sides of the headband so that they matched. Try to make them as even as possible so you crown doesn't turn out lopsided.
Then glue the leaves on the outside of the headband starting from the bottom up layering the leaves.
Once that's done your headband should look kinda like this.
Next take the flowers and start gluing them as flat as you can onto the leaves. Sometimes it's hard to get them to lay exactly flat so you may have to cover up some spots with spare leaves like so.
Once you are done clean up the excess hot glue and your crowns should resemble something like these guys. I chose to separate my flowers into 3 different colored crowns but it's also very pretty to have mixed colors. My favorite one is the deep purple one.

Voila! That's it kitties! I hope you have a wonderful time making your very own floral crowns to wear this summer. If you having any questions hit me up via e-mail.

xoxo