Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Our Spring garden

A lot has happened since I first posted our garden pictures from early this year. Much has changed an grown. Our backyard is a magical place where the Mister and I love to escape. After work we come home and let Lucy out as well as the chicken from their coop to run free as we sit and watch them run around and have fun. That is the main joy in my life. We have decided to extend our growth period this year and turn our little spring and summer garden into a green house during the cooler seasons. We will make a simple A frame and use visqueen to help heat and insulate our little plants. 

We have four tomato plants.... cherry, roma and big and juicy. I like the cherry and roma's the best for simple salads and caprese salad. Mmmmmmmm.

This is my little helper Lucy... she is a bean freak! She will follow me up and down the rows while I pick the green beans just waiting for me to drop one. She loves to just lay around in the garden and catch some rays of sun. I think the garden makes her as happy as it makes us.

This spring our black berry bush sprouted a major vine. I'm pretty sure we are going to get a large crop this year. I'm really looking forward to canning some home made jam!

This was our second crop of beans. We had so many that I canned some pickled green beans this past weekend and got five cans out of this batch!

I just wanted to take a moment to show you our fabulous cactus blooms in our front yard. We have many beautiful flowers in the front but they don't get featured on the blog as much as our backyard does. 

Here's another view of our tomato's and my herb garden down in front. I have sage, parsley, thyme, cilantro, various mints and basil. I actually used all the basil this past weekend and made pesto sauce to freeze for the whole year! The little bushels will grow back soon.

Our crazy banana plants are rapidly growing and we will have baby bananas eventually. This banana plant has been sprouting up shoots like it is it's job!

My beautiful sage. Not only is it yummy and smell delicious but has the most pretty bloom that I've seen on an herb.

View of our screened in porch and our walkway to the backyard. Someday we will have a little wooden walkway that leads you outside.... for now the grass will do.

The baby Oak tree that The Mister got the seed from Zilker Park. Hopefully it will grow to be a big and strong Oak that Austin is famous for.

This is what an onion bloom looks like. We had let our onions go too far this winter and never pulled them. They aren't edible anymore because we let them grow too much but they do produce a beautiful poof ball don't they?

These are our baby chicks that have now grown into teenage chickens. They are so funny to watch because they do the wackiest things. The Mister worked so hard to finish the coop because they were getting too big for us to handle. They love their new home and have adjusted well.

I've always wanted a Lavender plant but could never grow them from seed. We ended up just buying a baby plant and it's taking off great! We have our first real Lavender sprout. I can't wait to harvest them, they will smell so good hanging in our house.

Me feeling the heat. It gets crazy hot in the Texas sun!

We finally have our first baby squash growing! They were late bloomers this year. 

A close up of our juicy green beans. My favorite thing to grow and pick. I love our cucumbers too but this year they don't seem to be doing so well. They are very slow to grow and haven't seen any blooms on them yet. I will keep my fingers crossed. I would like to can some pickles to last us throughout the year. What are you growing in your garden this year?

xoxo
Wow Wow Wednesday with This Girls Life