Monday, June 24, 2013

Peace, love and tie dye DIY

Happy Monday everyone! Did everyone have an awesome weekend? I'm still tired and worn out from our excursions. It was great seeing our relatives and spending time catching up with them. The Mister and I also spend some time sprucing up our screened in porch. It's coming along quite nicely. Well I have a fun DIY for ya'll today. I've been feeling really creative lately and wanted to try out some bleaching techniques. I found an old tee and bought some jeans at a local thrift store; I wanted to make the jeans cut offs that were weathered and worn looking. I also had and idea in mind for the tee.... I experimented before with some leggings, basically using the tie dye method with rubber bands to make the circles. It turned out way better than I thought it would. Ta da!


So here's the materials that you will need. Your jeans and tee, rubber bands, a bucket or large bowl and bleach. I first cut my jeans into shorts and "ruffed them up" a bit by cutting slits into the jean pockets and the edges. I knew that when I washed and dried them they would start to fray....giving it that distressed look.
I used about a cup of bleach and filled my bowl full of water. I highly suggest using plastic gloves for this part! I then dipped my cut offs in the bowl and left them in there for a good 10 minutes or so. You can leave them in there longer to get more of a bleached look. I just wanted mine to be bleached at the bottom. I then used the rubber bands on my tee to create the "tie dye" look. You can use many different methods to achieve your desired look. I wanted circles. I then switched out my shorts and plopped in my tee. I hosed off my shorts outside with water so that I would drip bleach all throughout the house. After about 5 minutes I took my tee out and cut off all the rubber bands and laid out my tee to hose it off. I squeezed out as much water as I could in them and put them into the bowl to take inside to wash. I filled my washer with a cup of regular detergent and warm water then plopped my tee and shorts in for a good warm wash. I them dried them in the dryer on high.

Voila!!! A fun outfit that is quite fitting for the 4th of July.... don't you think? If you have any questions about the process you can shoot me an e-mail. I hope you guys enjoyed this little DIY. 
Shorts: Thrifted
Tee: Found
Boots: Thrifted
Sunnies: Target
Necklaces: Gifted from Mom

xoxo

            
Blog Hop