Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Our garden this year....

Hi there! The Mister and I are always super excited when Spring starts to come! We love to plant things and watch them grow! Seriously.... we start planning it in February and get all amped up about it. This year we are not planting green beans. Last year we got "beaned out"! We had so many that we couldn't eat them all or give them away fast enough so we started canning them. We still have some left over .....just in case of The Zombie Apocolypse. This year I'm all about fresh Herbs! I do love a good herb garden! There is nothing more satisfying than being able to walk into your back yard and cut off some "freshness" and sprinkle it on your food like a Boss! Bam! So awesome! I love fresh basil, mint and cilantro on everything in the Summer. It's very refreshing in "infused water".... which I plan to be drinking a lot of this Summer. So the Mister and I made a few trips to "The Home Depot" and picked out some things to plant this Spring.... here's what we've got planned.


Basil is a must for me. I crave Caprese Salad in the Summer... there is no better side to have at a cookout as well. Simple and scrumpious!


Our Garden wouldn't be complete without Heirloom Tomatoes! We eat tomatoes until our mouths get sore. We love to eat them with just a little salt and freshly ground pepper on them. Or try a tomato sandwhich... Toasted bread with a little butter and sliced tomatoes! Voila! 


I swore I'd never get Green Pepper's again but I did. The year before they didn't do so well... guess we'll give it another try!


Must have Cilantro.... if you live in Austin it's a must on your fish taco's! Just sayin'.


Onion's always do well in our garden.... I think it's because they don't require that much care.


We picked up a few of these "Scottish Moss" for our shaded areas in the front. This should spread beautifully.


The Mister tilled the crap out of our Garden and added some fresh soil. In goes the Cilantro.


Then fully saturate it. 


Living in Texas we plant our Garden usually at the end of February or early March. This year we had a cold snap and lost a few tomato plants. We replanted a few things and I think we are "good to go" for this Spring. The Mister planted a few things without me.... instead of succulents for the top of our "green chicken coop" we opted for Morning Glories. They love the sun and grow pretty rapidly with little to no care. Technically I think they are "a weed" which is why they are super easy and maintenance free. They just need to be saturated every other day and Voila! They are beautiful to look at and I'm sure the chicken's will love them as do we. He also planted some Giant Sunflowers as well. The year before we planted them and we had some very beautiful visitor's from some Monk Parakeets. It was amazing to watch these Parakeets nibble on our Sun flowers. Hopefully they will revisit us again this year. If you plant them... they will come right? There will be more updates on Our Garden as it progresses... the pictures will be more exciting too as we start to produce some vegetables. Thanks for stopping by and comments are always welcome!
xoxo