Monday, April 14, 2014

Bird watching Port Aransas style

Happy Monday! I'm back this week with more Port Aransas pictures from our trip to the coast. Bird watching (known as Birding) is taken very seriously in Port A. People travel from all over just to catch a glimpse of the many different types of breeds the Texas Gulf  has to offer. Mustang Island is also known as "The Nest of Texas" runs right along the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail. It has one of the highest bird counts on the Texas Gulf. Who knew?!? There is even an Annual Whooping Crane Festival! The Mister and I heard about this popular Bird Sanctuary hidden behind one of our favorite Breakfast Spots.... so of course we had to check it out. In tradition I overdressed for the occasion. Ha! Hey.... a girl has gotta look cute am I right? I did however come prepared with binoculars and a pair of back up shoes. It was actually a lot of fun! There were a bunch of people there... mostly older people. It was so cute to watch them get all excited when they spotted one. Here's a board where they post what breed of bird they saw on what date. 


I'm completely obsessed with red lipstick and scarves right now. I don't think you can go wrong with a "classic red" lip.... plus it was hella windy outside so it actually made sense that I put my hair back and keep it all neat and tidy with a cute scarf. Cute and functional.... my two favorite things. Ha ha!



You must have a pair of binoculars with you at all times when your at Port A. There is so much to see.... even the occasional dolphin! I love spotting all the different types of sandpipers. They are so freaking adorable and tiny!


This older gentleman on the right was the cutest! He got soooo excited when he would spot a bird. He would point it out to everyone around him so they wouldn't miss out and would then describe the breed of bird and it's attributes. It was very sweet. I told my Husbear that when we get old I wanted to always go "birding" with him.... that it would be our hobby. He agreed that it sounded like a great idea.




Seriously trying to spot some birds at this point.


Just a nature photographer with the biggest lens I've ever seen!


There were several observation decks to walk out onto.


Followed by boat watching....




I thought I was going to get blown away....




Although the sun never made an appearance it was quite peaceful in Port Aransas. We walked around for a few hours and then went back to the beach house to cuddle up and read our books. I love vacation time on Mustang Island with all the sounds and smells. It was a good day indeed. 

xoxo

Dress: Dots
Cardi: Francesca's
Bandanna: Hobby Lobby
Earrings: Old Navy
Wedges: Target