Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mid Century dog bed diy


 Mid Century dog bed DIY as seen on Craft Gawker via Our Nerd Home.


The Mister and I followed most of the directions/instructions but tweaked the size of the bed based on the cushions we bought at Hobby Lobby. It was easier for us to by the cushion first 
(based on our wee one's size) and then figure out our measurements for cutting around that. Our cushion was 15x17.


Remember to measure twice and cut once.


The legs were a tad bit hard to find. They are available at Lowes but only some of them carry them. It may be easier to buy them online than to running around town like we did. Make sure you get the angled plates (to attached the legs) to give it that "mid-century feel".


You don't need a whole lotta paint.... I actually had these sample paints left over from another diy I did so I just made use out of them. I ended up choosing Go Go Lime and Island Aqua.... both Behr ultra. Oh and get semi gloss as well. It's easier to wipe down and clean up after the little four legged hair children.


After everything is all screwed together and your legs are taped off at the bottom it's time to paint!


I ended up only needing a good two coats of colored paint..... and didn't really worry so much about if the bottom was painted perfectly. I didn't even need to put a white base coat on first. Yippppeee!


Here we are drying.


Here's the finished look. This is Lucy... our 11 year old Min Pin. It's impossible to get a clear photo of her unless she is sleeping. Ha! We ended up having to cut the legs of her bed down a few inches because she is so tiny and wee and couldn't jump up that high. Ikea has the perfect sized pillow cases to fit the foam cushions.... I'm not so good at sewing and wanted something that I could un zip and take off to wash quickly if I needed to .....so we went out and bought two more to switch out. Voila! 
What do you think? It's fairly simple if you have a handy Husbear hanging around the house like I do. If not the guys at Lowes and Home Depot are always super nice and willing to help. 

xoxo