Thursday, January 30, 2014

Make it sweet continued...

Here we are again at Make it Sweet. As promised I was able to snap a few photo's while in between making awesome French Macron's. Mandy of Nestled in Nostalgia and I got some hands on experience and learned a few tips on these delicate little pastries. It was pretty fun to say the least. We experimented with different fillers such as Chocolate Ganache and Lemon Curd.... which to our surprise is actually easier to make than we anticipated. We found out a lot about egg whites and their molecular structure as well. Sounds intimidating doesn't it? Well I have to say the class was very informative and don't even think about making Macaron's when it's raining! Ha! 


This is the point where we play "angry baker". It's a little tip that our instructor gave us.... after you pipe out the circle's for your Macaron's you then bang your tray on the table flattening and spreading out the mixture. It helps to get the air bubbles out and makes perfect circles. As you can see, mine are less than perfect.


These guys our instructor made beforehand... the class was only 3 hours long so we didn't get a whole lot of time to bake but she still wanted us to be able to take home a variety of different flavors. The class actually made the lemon and pistachio ones. Aren't the gorgeous? If you all are wondering why Macaron's are so dang expensive it's because of the cost of the ingredients.... the almond meal which is used costs a pretty penny. 





Here's my finished product! They are so pretty and were oh so delicious. Sadly, I ended up giving most of mine away.... I'm on a calorie restricted diet right now. Sigh.....


Mandy and I also got to take a quick peek at there store. Look at all these pretty pearls! Make it Sweet is the largest retail supply store in Central Texas. They have everything you could possibly imagine in stock for bakers. It was a fun filled day and now I know the mystery behind making these delicious pastries. It may be awhile before I invest in trying to make these bad boys at home.... but next time I bite into a Macaron I will appreciate it that much more knowing how difficult it is to make them. 

xoxo