Thursday, January 3, 2013

feeling inspired......

Lately I've been feeling inspired to dress up and do my hair in loose braids. It makes me feel really feminine and earthly when I'm wearing a cotton dress and have my hair in a messy bun with tendrils falling down around my face. I feel so comfortable in my skin and very serene. It reminds me of when I was in college in my senior year working on my portfolio.... I was exploring my inner feelings of becoming a "young women". I was documenting the change in me internally and externally throughout my journey. A lot of my photographs include wreaths, teacups, cotton slips....items that I associate with womanhood.  It was more about the fragility of woman and acceptance than anything else. To me coming of age is a beautiful process and I wanted to capture that in my images. I often used pinhole and diana cameras with long exposures to get that "mystical quality" that I was looking for. I'm not quite brave enough to show the world my work online yet though I have sat through many critiques it still isn't any easier. Never the less, these images give that same soft quality that I remember searching for in my work. It makes me nostalgic.

















These images are so inspirational to me... I think I will make my own laurel and document my transition into becoming the woman I am today. I believe it's something I need to embrace... I've changed in so many ways over the years and it's happened so fast, within a blink of an eye. It's easy to not stop and think about who you are... the inner you. It's nice to take the time and just enjoy the present.


Thanks to Wilpa of Pinterest